Alumni achievers of 2012
Saina Nehwal is the first Indian to win a medal in badminton at the Olympics. A Khel Ratna badminton player and winner of the Padma Shri Award (2010) and the Arjuna Award (2009), Saina is coached by former All England Badminton Champion and Dronacharya Awardee, Pullela Gopichand. She is also India's highest paid sportsperson outside cricket.
Sacrifices are part of a top athlete's life. What sacrifices have you made to be where you are today?
I did not play with dolls or toys when I was young. I couldn't spend time with friends, or attend birthday parties. All the time it was badminton for me.
Read more at - http://www.coolage.in/2012/09/20/my-play-is-most-important-to-me-saina-nehwal/
Soha Ali Khan is a Bollywood actor. She has a degree in Modern History from Oxford University and a masters degree in International Relations from the London School of Economics. Besides films, she is also associated with many voluntary organizations such as Akshara and the CRY. Currently she hosts the famous show, 'What Not To Wear, India' on TLC.
What advice would you give young college students who want to do something different from what they actually studied?
Read more at - http://www.coolage.in/2012/12/11/my-history-teacher-in-school-inspired-me-soha-ali-khan/
Vikram Chandra is the Group CEO and Executive Director of NDTV Group and anchors for 'The Big Fight', 'Gadget Guru' and the '9 o'clock news'. He has also been awarded the 'Young Global Leader' award by the World Economic Forum in Davos and has been felicitated by the Indian Television Academy Award as the "Best Anchor for a Talk Show" in 2008.
You went to St. Stephen's College followed by Oxford and then Stanford Universities. These are dream colleges for most of our youth. What advice would you give to our readers about applying to such universities?
Well, I was in Stanford for just three months. However, these international universities are looking for well-rounded individuals. So, academics and co-scholastic activities like debating and dramatics are equally important. What the students need to keep in mind is that securing admission is not enough; education abroad is very expensive and so getting scholarships is critical. I secured admission in Oxford University but deferred it by a year. The next year, I won the Inlaks Scholarship and went to Oxford through it. Scholarships like Rhodes and Inlaks need a good co-scholastic record also. So try not only to secure admission in prestigious universities but also to arrange for a scholarship to pay the fees.
Read more at - http://www.coolage.in/2012/08/30/a-rendezvous-with-mr-vikram-chandra/
Arivalagan Gajraj is an independent musician, songwriter and composer. He is an alumnus of Michigan State University and received his Ph.D. in Chemical Engineering in 1999. Ari also worked at the University of Michigan doing post-doctoral research in Biophysics working on projects for the National Institutes of Health (NIH)and NASA. Ari is a published author with articles in many scientific journals. His musical initiative is called Listen Without Borders.
Is social media an effective platform to promote independent artists?
Well, it's the only viable platform for indie artists so you have to make it work for you. I think the best way to promote yourself is to be good, be extraordinary, draw people to you and your art – work honestly at the fundamentals: better and more relevant songwriting, better ideas, better execution. It might sound clichéd but it's the smartest way to take advantage of the decentralized nature of social media. Let viral work for you.
Read more at - http://www.coolage.in/2012/11/22/until-we-truly-listen-without-borders-we-remain-unevolved-a/
- Harvard Alumnus, a former Indian Junior National Squash Champion, entrepreneur and mentor at OnCourse Global, Alisha Mashruwala.
- IMI alumnus and Boston Marathon runner Ashok Nath.
- An alumnus of MMK college, Mumbai, Pooja Hegde is a beauty queen, bharatnatyam dancer, model and actress.
- Punjabi University alumnus, a former Miss India winner, Bollywood actress, Marathon runner and travel junkie, Gul Panag
- Columbia Business School alumnus, former banker and a novelist, Ira Trivedi. Here seen with PM Manmohan Singh.
- Dr. Nipa Diwanji-Sheth
- A multi-instrumentalist, composer, a student of Ustad Usman Khan and a pioneer in the field of World Fusion Music, Prem Joshua.
- Princeton University alumnus and Head of Interactive for BBC Media Action in India, Sara Chamberlain.
- Steven Galster is an activist against human and animal trafficking and is the Director at Freeland.
- Vikram Chandra, an alumnus of St. Stephen's College and Group CEO and Executive Director at NDTV.
- An alumnus of Bangalore Medical College, Dr. Shyam Bhat is a Psychiatrist, Integrative Medicine specialist and writer.
- Padma Shri and Khel Ratna awardee and Olympics medallist, badminton champ Saina Nehwal.
- St. Stephens College alumnus, Ritwik Bhattacharya is a former No. 1 squash player in India who held the top spot for 9 years
- Tal Kravitz is an Israeli musician, singer and anthropologist who has studied at the Israeli Music Conservatory.
- Oxford University alumnus Papa CJ is India's No. 1 stand-up comedian. Here, he is seen with Russell Peters.
- Vaishali Kasture, MD Goldman Sachs and an alumnus of Sydenham College, Mumbai is an award winning marathon runner.
- Arivalagan Gajraj, the mastermind behind Listen without Borders.
- Anand Kumar is an Indian educationalist and mathematician.
- Soha Ali Khan is a Bollywood actor.
- Food critics (lovers) and hosts of 'Highway on my Plate', Rocky and Mayur
- Shereen Bhan, Executive Editor and Delhi Bureau Chief at CNBC, TV 18
- DJ Ivan is one of the most accomplished DJs in India. He brought the Ministry of Sound to India.
Sai Srinath Dasthar - OU's Celebrity By Sprutika Battu-University College of Engineering, Osmania University, Hyderabad
Mumbai based start-up: LurnQ By Vivek Singh-Bharati Vidyapeeth College of Engineering, Navi Mumbai
I'm always open to constructive criticism - Abhradeep Goswami By Nitish Rajpurohit-National Institute of Technology, Silchar
Suyash Desai: How about Internship at Rashtrapati Bhavan? By Vivek Singh-Bharati Vidyapeeth College of Engineering, Navi Mumbai
Kashyap Brothers- T&P (Computer Science)- Live. By Nitish Rajpurohit-National Institute of Technology, Silchar